Monday, May 10, 2004

kill bill represents the meta-archetypes of manifest destiny

-- spoilers ahead for people who haven't witnessed Crouching Tiger
Hidden Dragon --

Blogger has upgraded its interface and services. I really like the new
look and am thrilled that I stayed in for some of the exciting added
features.

That's why today, I am submitting my blog entry via e-mail.

Wow. Does this every help me with spelling! Grammar, unfortunately,
still suffers under the impress of my digits and unorganized thoughts.

Welcome to the world of blogging, BTW, if you've never been here. You
might enjoy the catharsis of producing works anyone can read. But, hey, that's half the charm isn't it?

You can get famous among your friends and any relatives you can convince
to visit the echos of your innermost thoughts. I count myself fortunate
that I haven't gushed too much about the daily doses of life that
make up the 'real' me.

Perhaps the virtualization of self and the chance you might get caught
in the 'act' of revealing yourself is as much to do about being watched
over as praying by your bedside at night.

Me? I'm not going to say anything that will tell you more than what I
want you to hear. You're just going to have to read between the lines.

Oh, yeah, I nearly forgot... 'Kill Bill'... Violent... almost genocidal
in its scope if you believe in the meta-archetype theory.

Wait till I break down 'Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon' in that
menacing way I have of making a symbol out of everything. You aren't
going to believe me when I tell you the hidden message is communist
angst about the betrayal of Han culture by the very people who might
have inherited power.

If you remember standing as the observer in the end you may not know
that you represent the unwashed, the untrained in statecraft and power
brokerage, a thief in love with what he can barely understand watching
the heir apparent abandon hope that the Han can be saved from savage
teachings that only half-way interpret the lineage of sagacity.

Whether the Green Destiny can be retired for good remains a mystery.

The message is potent as is the death of the beloved master of the
sword, whose death across water on an island in a sea of dilapidated
housing, was as much caused by half-understood truths as the need to be
close to the plant that could save him.

It took me a while to believe that the movie was as much about the
automobile and sustainability as it is about the apprenticeship of
culture. But now that I see it I enjoy it all the more.

Kill Bill can wait for another day.


-- our fantasies create landscapes in which we can live and which, in
reality, could never be lived --